Sunday, April 29, 2012

Blog Assignment #13

cellphones banned at school
This was a very difficult assignment. It was much more difficult than I thought it would be. I did fine for the first few hours with no technology. No T.V.? Piece of cake! No Facebook? Bring it on! No cellphone? So not happening! I couldn't bring myself to turn my phone off so I wouldn't use it. I am so used to being in contact daily with friends, family, and my boyfriend that I hated the idea of not being in contact with them even for 24 hrs. This assignment showed me the extraordinary dependence we have on technology. I kept finding myself going to get on the computer or turn on the T.V. simply out of habit. Technology is such a part of my everyday life that I was completely oblivious to the fact that I was even going to use technology. I had to stop myself and remember I was not supposed to use it. Although I failed, quite horribly in fact, at this assignment, I learned that we truly are living in an era of technology. Our hands are glued to our cell phones and our eyes are glued to our computers and televisions. So, what does this realization mean for me as a future teacher? This assignment helped to further show me that as bad as I am with my dependence on technology, kids are ten times worse. For many children, not a day in their life has gone by where they didn't experience some form of interaction with technology. As a future teacher, it is important that I remember this. It is the responsibility of the teacher to teach to their students in the most effective way possible. If technology is what interests and engages them, then use technology! I want my future students to enjoy learning and retain what I am teaching them and technology will be a huge help in achieving this goal. I must say, however, that I do not feel bad about my "addiction" to technology because many of the reasons I use it are for educational purposes and to stay in touch with people I care about. I am thankful for technology and am excited to see just how far it will go in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment